SHIFT SIGHT CONFIDENTIAL
Topic Selection Criteria
a) Topics are listed in priority of perceived importance to audience.
b) Balance uplifting messages against the gravity of the problems.
c) Do not over-emphasize any one topic – people love variety!
d) Check the media and industry; they often write about the latest and greatest without full disclosure.
1. Describe building a fun electronic STEM product in the context of a triple-bottom-line.
2. Explain the means of improving the world, local community, or workplace.
3. Engage the audience in the psychological puzzle of digital addictions and inadvertent disposability.
4. Discuss the long-term vision, such as labeling the hazmat contents of electronic products to drive informed buying decisions.
5. Praise electronic recyclers, but remind the audience that Shift Sight is pioneering “reduce” and “repair.” Write about the fact that everything – electronics included – breaks, and it is short-sighted to pretend it can happen without consequence.
6. Write about the importance of self-directed learning as a building block for creative, fearless individuals.
7. Remind the audience of the feasibility of durable products and their necessity.
8. Praise teachers! They are among the most overworked, underpaid, important individuals.
9. Write about the problem of outsourcing, since the local labor force is the lifeblood of a community.
10. Engage them with Teal concepts, B Corporation ideals, or other uncommon topics.
11. Tell a story about the need to rest, play, and unplug to experience what it means to be human.
In Case of Emergency
Abandon all hope of an interesting article, continue working toward addressing a global crisis, and share a random photo of an animal.
Ty is a Founder of Shift Sight, LLC.